see the Kindred.
"The Kindred" is the second episode of Season Two of Fox's Sleepy Hollow. It was written by Mark Goffman & Albert Kim and directed by Paul Edwards. It is the fifteenth episode of the series overall, and debuted on September 29, 2014.
Ichabod Crane and Lt. Abbie Mills concoct a daring plan to try to rescue Ichabod's wife, Katrina, from the Headless Horseman by resurrecting a Frankenstein-like monster created by Benjamin Franklin. Meanwhile, Frank Irving faces new trouble after revealing the true details of his encounter with a Demons, and Jenny Mills finds herself at odds with the new sheriff in town.
Ichabod and Abbie learn of a creature with the power of a horseman called a "Kindred" created by Benjamin Franklin with body parts of his strongest soldiers, but he was unable to bring it to life as it required a horseman body part. Ichabod wants to use it to battle the horseman while he sneaks into the house where Katrina is being held, Abbie is against the idea but is convinced by Ichabod to go along with the plan. As they require the horseman's head, Abbie decides to visit Frank Irving in jail and learns that it's being held in a deposit box in the bank. Before she leaves, she urges him to tell the truth about what happened with his daughter so he's moved to the psych ward as he will be more accessible there. Now outside of Abraham's house, Ichabod places the horseman's head on the Kindred's body and recites the incantation to bring it to life and watches on as it battles the two horsemen. With the horseman distracted, Ichabod sneaks into Abraham's home and reunites with Katrina, but is concerned when she tells him she wants to stay and learn more about Moloch's plans. Ichabod is at first against the idea, but agrees as she convinces him she will be a useful spy. He then escapes with Abbie. The next day Ichabod and Abbie discuss Katrina and wonder what happened to the Kindred after the battle. Jenny is in custody for possession of weapons, and Abbie warns her it will take time to work it out, given the new police chief. Meanwhile, Henry decides to visit Frank Irving to offer him a contract to enlist his services as a lawyer. Upon signing it, Irving unwillingly cuts his finger, signing the contract in blood.
- The US title points out the monster-of-the-week; which in this case, is an ally of the Witnesses while the Japanese title refers to the main objective of the episode which is to bring the Kindred ("Automaton") to life.
- First appearance of Leena Reyes.
- The incantation that Ichabod Crane needs to use in order to awaken the kindred is a quote from H. P. Lovecraft's the 'The Call of Cthulhu', roughly translated to Romano-Greek. The quote is: "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die"
- This is based off of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein where a mad scientist named Victor Frankenstein creates a creature far stronger than any human by sewing together and then reanimating dead body parts.
- This episode is like Frankenstein's Monster is like the Kindred and the monster on Penny Dreadful, the new 2014 show and they both fight for evil.